Tuesday, September 20, 2011

*roar*

after two months of dry brushes
i have returned to say

" I am a woman"

I've gotten a lot of..."input" when I paint nudes. I find this curious. Why can we go to a museum and admire any number of paintings and sculptures of nudes , yet blush when I post a painting like this one? is it because people know me personally?
I'm always asked if my paintings are of myself . Some are intended to be self-portraits, others are not. It is true that my own body is the most familiar to me , the same body I have tried to escape from the time I was 11 years old. I think a lot of women feel this way. Never content with their curves or lack of curves. always comparing. never feeling comfortable in their own skin...
this month alone I have had three friends have to face cancer on one level or another. and it has me thinking about what it means to be a woman in this skin of ours.

there will always be people who see breasts or a backside and blush and giggle. and that's fine I guess. but if that's all you see you are missing the point.

1 comment:

  1. okay, ready? GO:
    happyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyproudhappyhappyhappyhappyloveithappyhappyhappy. theend.

    (SO gosh darn beautiful neener. great work.) <3

    ReplyDelete